Miss Jaye gets her nails done…..and she likes it
Let me get this out of the way, I love my cousin Chief. He is soft-spoken, sarcastic and quick on the uptake. He also tied the knot recently and his only clause to me was to pack my natural hair away before showing up.
And for him, I wore a silky weave and threw in acrylic nails to boot.
See how much I love him?
Well, it’s been two weeks since I went to Salon Services to have them hook me up with acrylic nails and its time for me to assess my performance with them. Wait – did I mention this is the first time I’ve ever worn acrylic nails? In my long-legged life?
Deep breath in and out……
I thought they would be a pain but they weren’t.
- My hands look prettier and more feminine J
- The nails make a lovely noise when tapping on desks, car doors and kitchen counters.
- They look great with whatever outfit I wear.
- I can handwash my clothes without fuss.
- I can prepare my favourite meal with them
- I can wash dishes without hassle.
- I can’t eat fufu and soup, banku and stew, waakye…..hell, I can’t eat any of my favourite meals that I can normally eat with my hands. Bummer.
- Its hard to type with acrylics; they hurt when you press the nails, it’s uncomfortable when you use your fingerpads. It’s not been an easy ride this past week
- I can’t open a can of Coke easily.
- I can’t close shirt buttons.
- I struggle with earring bolts.
- I have to be careful how I use my fingers because the nails are tough but are surprisingly sensitive to pressure and can break and rip off my real nails.
- Erm….that’s it, I guess.
So, will I do it again? Most definitely….I’ll just have to figure out how to alter some aspects of my life to accommodate them. Or, I can fix them every three or four months.
Or I can just enjoy them until I get sick of them.
Either way, good times 🙂